What is the difference between Navel & Valencia ?
– Although they contain a few seeds, they are the perfect juicing orange because they are juicier than other oranges. Furthermore, the juice is invigorating, brightly colored, has a well-balanced sweet-tart flavor that will help you beat the heat of summer.
– Valencias Limonin, which is a natural compound and known anti-oxidant that when exposed to air converts enzymes and becomes bitter, is found in the seeds so you can juice the fruit, store it in the fridge and enjoy it for a few days, even weeks.
– They taste sweeter than Valencias and are great to munch on fresh out of hand or tossed in a salad.
– You can easily distinguish Navel oranges from other oranges by their trademark. Navel on the fruit’s blossom end, which is actually an undeveloped second twin fruit opposite its stem.
– Unlike Valencia oranges, Navels are better eaten fresh rather than juiced because the Limonin is found in the flesh of Navels so the juice turns bitter within 30 minutes.